Monday, July 14, 2008

Unplugged Project ~ Stone


This weeks'
Unplugged Project from Unplug Your Kids is Stone. Mia and I went out back and picked out some rocks that caught our fancy and brought them back inside. We placed them all out on the table and then we sat there looking at them. What to do? I asked Mia, 'what do you want to do with all these rocks?'...she happily replied 'STACK 'em!'



There you go! Stacking. We aren't professional rock stackers or anything, but you gotta start somewhere. We sure did have a fun time playing around with balance and gravity. I'm not sure why every time I was building my stacks Mia would keep saying, with a silly grin on her face, 'they're gonna fall...they're gonna fall, Mama...'. Talk about pressure!! :)


Mia was so excited as the built her stacks. She concentrated hard, but then got so much pleasure out of it when the stacks came tumbling down…by themselves or with a little assistance. A job in demolition may be in her future.


We enjoyed ourselves, each other and will keep a little basket of rocks handy for the next time we want to challenge gravity. Thanks to
Unplug Your Kids for the inspiration.




p.s. the flat ones sure do work better than the round :)

13 comments:

Michie said...

How funny that there's really someone who professionally stacks rocks??

I often find that the simplest projects are the most fun. Looks like you guys had a great time!

So Smrt said...

Super cool. I am oddly fascinated by the professional stacking.

Anonymous said...

Cool Inukshuks! The Inuit used them as markers for navigation and hunting grounds :) My kids love to make them all over and wherever we go *grin* so that everyone knows they were there :)

Garden State Kate said...

Nice. My P has always had a thing for stacking rocks..washing them...she collects baskets full of them to paint or whatever.

Stacy said...

Great shots - she looks like she is having a ball! What a neat idea, too. :)

Gottfredsen said...

I love it. My son is into the stacking thing to. It is so much fun for kids to do it.

Unknown said...

Ahhh...maybe my demolition man and Mia can start a business together one day!

This Girl loves to Talk said...

i wanted to do this after seeing the ones on the crafty crow!!!

but we couldnt find any flat rocks... I need to go to a river...

Anonymous said...

I totally loved this! You're a good mommy.

And I love the *gasp* photo of her.

Anonymous said...

We did that too! It's super fun hey ;)

Robyn said...

There are cairns marking trails on the mountains. What a neat hobby. I would have never imagined that people have managed to make money stacking rocks. How cool is that?
I'll have to try this with my little one. He'll love it.

Ad said...

Cool pictures! Looks like you had fun.

Dana Leeds said...

What a wonderful activity for a little girl! And, I'm sure challenging... even for a mom. :-) Looks like fun!