Sunday, June 17, 2007

A Mama's Mia First: An entry from Dada on Father's Day

We woke up this morning at around 8:30am. Mia decided to let Mommy and Daddy sleep, and didn't even bother with her normal 6:00 milk run.

Tanya forced me to stay in bed while she got up. About 15 minutes later, she brought me coffee, the snapper, and a whole lot of daddy related books. While I sat and read to Mia, Tanya sat there looking at me with an expectant look on her face. In true daddy fashion, it took me several minutes to realize that the coffee she just brought me came in the first of my fathers day presents. It was a customized coffee mug with a picture of Mia and me reading a Daddy book. I also got hand-made cards from my girls, and an awesome digital picture frame for my desk at work. Tanya also got me a copy of the first "real" book I ever read, Where the Red Fern Grows, so that I can read it to Mia.

Before I even got out of bed I got a call from the best mother-in-law in the world to wish me a happy fathers day. Last time we were down, she gave me my fathers day present a little early. It was a hand painted piece of artwork of a Daddy and his daughter.

Once we got up, I got another of my fathers day presents (one I got to pick several days in advance). I got eggs on horseback for breakfast. A full t-bone steak with a nice over easy egg on top and hash browns and fruit w/ whipped cream on the side. What a breakfast! We sat and played cards while we ate. Either I had a bit of fathers day luck or Tanya stacked the deck in my favor. Whichever it was, I won big time!

After that, we scrubbed down the snapper and got her ready for a big day. We took the family to Wal-Mart and picked up a new bike so that we can all go for rides when I get home at night. Mia walked through the entire store by herself without a single stroller, cart, or helper. Needless to say, by the time we got home she crashed for a nice two hour nap.

By the time she woke up, we were all packed up and ready to go out to my parents house for fathers day. Mia was energetic and in a great mood. The whole way out it was Nana this and PaPa that. Nana and PaPa had a great time planned. By the time we arrived, the whole family was there...Nana, PaPa, Me-Maw, Uncle Joe, Auntie Melissa and Cousin Gwen. There was plenty of BBQ, beer and pool to go around. How can you not have fun with THAT combination?? Mia got to play on the swing with PaPa and played on the porch with Nana and a little bit of water from the hose for almost an hour. It was an awesome fathers day and we didn't want to leave, but by 8:00 Mia looked like she was going to fall asleep standing up. We said our Goodbye's and headed out.

Mia managed to stay awake for the entire ride home, but not by much. By the time we walked in, she was ready to hit the sack. We ready her a story and put her down. I think she was asleep by the time her head hit the pillow.

Having a day like this every year makes me see just how lucky I am to have such a wonderful family. My loving wife took such great care of me today (like always). While Mia didn't quite know what was going on, she lit up my day with all her smiles. I am truly the luckiest guy in the world!

8:30pm and still going strong

they make beautiful music together

Mama, Dada, Mia & her shoe

proud Dad

Fathers, sons & daughters

all you need is a loving Dada & a water hose

Pa Pa loves his Mia...and her Ron Paul T-shirt, too